This is an official version.
Copyright © 2012: Queens Printer,
RSNL1990 CHAPTER S-23
STANDARD TIME ACT
2006 c31; 2011 c6
AN ACT RESPECTING STANDARD TIME AND DAYLIGHT TIME IN THE PROVINCE
1. This Act may be cited as the Standard Time Act.
(1) Time in the province shall be reckoned as 3 1/2 hours later than
(2) Time reckoned in accordance with subsection (1) shall be known as "Newfoundland Standard Time".
3. (1) During the period in each year that the Lieutenant-Governor in Council may by regulation establish, time in the province shall be reckoned as 2 1/2 hours later than Greenwich mean solar time.
Until changed under subsection (1), during the period in each year between 2 a.m. of the second Sunday in March and 2 a.m. of the first Sunday in November time in the province shall be reckoned as 2 1/2 hours later than
(2) Time reckoned in accordance with subsection (1) shall be known as "Newfoundland Daylight Time".
4. Notwithstanding sections 2 and 3, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) varying the reckoning of Newfoundland Standard Time and Newfoundland Daylight Time;
(b) prescribing the application of Newfoundland Standard Time and Newfoundland Daylight Time to the whole province or to a part or portion of the province;
(c) prescribing, where necessary, the application of a time zone other than Newfoundland Standard Time to a part or portion of the province; and
(d) generally, to give effect to the purpose of this Act.
Expressions relating to time
(a) an expression of time reckoned or to be reckoned in the province occurs in
(i) an Act, proclamation, order of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, regulation, order, rule, rule or order of a court, by-law, resolution or other enactment, or
(ii) an agreement, contract, deed, lease or other instrument previously or later enacted, made or executed;
(b) an hour or other period of time is stated either orally or in writing; or
(c) a question as to time arises,
the time referred to or intended shall, unless it is otherwise specifically expressed, be held to be time reckoned as prescribed by this Act.
RSN1970 c270 s4
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer