This is an official version.
Copyright © 2018: Queens Printer,
Department of Works, Services and Transportation Notice, 2003
(Filed July 21, 2003)
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
This Notice may be cited as the Department of Works, Services and Transportation Notice, 2003.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Works, Services and Transportation; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Works, Services and Transportation.
Departmental structure varied
3. (1) The departmental structure is varied by Order in Council 2003-379 and the department is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department has 3 branches, as follows:
(a) Works Branch;
(b) Roads Branch; and
(c) Marine Branch.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the administration, supervision, control, regulation, management and direction of all matters relating to transportation and public works, services and supplies generally, including all matters relating to
(a) construction, improvement, repair and maintenance of highways, local roads, airstrips, ferry landings and related facilities;
(b) the acquisition, use, maintenance and operation of ferries under ownership, charter or administration;
(c) the acquisition, use, maintenance and operation of provincial air ambulance, waterbomber and other aircraft and services under ownership, charter or administration;
(d) property that belongs to or is held or occupied by the Crown, and the works and properties acquired, constructed, extended, enlarged, repaired or improved at the expense of the province, or for the acquisition, construction, extension, enlargement, repair or improvement of which public funds are voted and appropriated by the Legislature, other than property and works assigned under another Act to another minister or department of the government of the province;
(e) property management generally including the construction, repair, maintenance, heating, lighting, cleaning and security of buildings that belong to or are held or occupied by the Crown and grounds that belong to those buildings;
(f) the leasing of real property by the Crown and related activities;
(g) subject to Part IV of the Works, Services and Transportation Act ,
(i) procurement, distribution, control, furnishing of supplies, including the providing, purchasing, advice or other assistance to government departments or public institutions or otherwise acquiring of goods, services and supplies required in the public service of the province, including public institutions, to attain the best value for government, and
(ii) the establishment, maintenance and operation of depots or warehouses in which supplies may be stored and from which they may be distributed;
(h) the disposition of surplus provincial assets and real property; and
(i) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Works, Services and Transportation Notice , Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 72/96, is repealed.
1. Expropriation Act
2. Family Homes Expropriation Act (with Municipal and Provincial Affairs)
3. Highway Traffic Act (with Government Services and Lands)
4. Intergovernmental Joint Purchasing Act
5. Local Road Boards Act
6. Motor Carrier Act (with Government Services and Lands)
7. Printing Services Act
8. Public Tender Act
9. Rail Service Act
10. Works, Services and Transportation Act (with Government Services and Lands)